Membership & Certification
ACG has established a recertification requirement as part of its initiative to have the Certified Commissioning Authority (CxA) program accredited by ANSI and recognized by the U.S. Department of Energy. ACG’s goals for recertification are to ensure that CxA holders remain current with best practices, broaden their understanding of the industry, and continue to be recognized as the leading providers of quality building commissioning for new and existing buildings.
If you are currently a CxA and would like to submit continuing education activities to ACG, please click here to access the Continuing Education Reporting Portal. If you have forgotten your username/password, contact [email protected].
CxA Recertification Overview
Your CxA recertification requirements (listed below) must be completed by the end of your three-year cycle. The end of your cycle is determined by the date you originally became certified:
Originally certified between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017: cycle ends December 31, 2019.
Originally certified between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018: cycle ends December 31, 2020.
Originally certified between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019 OR before July 1, 2016: cycle ends December 31, 2021.
Originally certified between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020 OR between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017: cycle ends December 31, 2022.
Originally certified between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021 OR between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018: cycle ends December 31, 2023.
Originally certified between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022 OR between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019: cycle ends December 31, 2024.
Originally certified between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023 OR between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020: cycle ends December 31, 2025.
Originally certified between July 1, 2023 and June 30, 2024 OR between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021: cycle ends December 31, 2026.
**For up-to-date information regarding your current certification status, please use the link above to access your ACG continuing education reporting portal.
Recertification requirements are as follows:
1. CxA certification holders will are required to earn 50 points during their 3 year certification cycle in order to recertify.
-Points can be earned in numerous ways, such as CxEnergy attendance and participation in commissioning projects, as listed on the CxA Recertification Point System Matrix.
-Only points related to commissioning that include proof of attendance from a third party will qualify.
2. Agreement to uphold and abide by the new CxA Code of Ethics.
3. Pay applicable annual fees and verify continued independent status on an annual basis, with updated certificates issued annually.
4. Gap Requirement for CxAs certified prior to April 2016 (see below).
Gap Requirement – Applicable to those certified prior to April 2016
Current CxA holders will be required to address gaps between the old and new exams, which primarily includes aspects of existing building commissioning and on-going commissioning, by 12/31/2018 to be recertified. There are two options:
1. The Gap session was offered for the first time at CxEnergy 2017. A recording of the session is now available for your convenience here: https://vimeo.com/222706615/e6f83a3ef4 (a short quiz is linked in the description below the video).
Make sure you complete the short quiz after viewing the video in order to officially receive credit towards your recertification. You will receive a completion certificate upon passing the gap quiz, please retain this for your records.
(If you would prefer to attend a live offering of the Gap Session and quiz, it will be offered again as part of CxEnergy 2018 in Las Vegas.)
2. The alternate option will be to take and pass the current CxA exam based on the new guidelines from DOE. Please contact the certification department at [email protected] for more information on scheduling the exam.
More Information Regarding CxA Recertification
Download the CxA Candidate Handbook for more information regarding CxA recertification. Questions may be directed to the ACG Certification Department via email ([email protected]) or by phone at (202) 737-7775.